Essential Architecture- London
St. Antholin Demolished 1875
|Sir Christopher Wren|
|1678 to 1691|
|late English Renaissance to NeoBaroque|
|masonry- dome peaks at 366 feet|
|Church demolished 1874-6. Spire top now at Sydenham|
|Two views of the tower of St Antholin; one of the tower erected in 1685, the other of a design of 1875. Between the two is a plan of the church.|
St Antholin, Budge Row
St Antholin, Budge Row or St Antholin, Watling Street was a former church in the City of London, which was demolished in 1874. Nowadays it has resurrected as: St Anthony and St Silas, Nunhead .
The original church was first recorded in 1119. It is known to have been rebuilt in the 1400s. In 1666, the church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London. It was rebuilt in 1678-1684 by Sir Christopher Wren. The church was demolished in 1874 as part of the Union of Benefices Act.
On 1878-05-11, a successor church, St Antholin, Nunhead, was consecrated. On 1940-12-27, this church was gutted by incendiaries. On 1957-10-12, the rebuilt church was reconsecrated as St Anthony, Nunhead. In 2001, the church was united with St Silas, Peckham Rye when St Silas was demolished. In 2003, the church was rebuilt on the same site and dedicated to St Anthony and St Silas, Nunhead.
Of all the churches demolished in the nineteenth century, the loss of St Antholin's seems to have caused the greatest regret. Gordon Huelinp35 of "Vanished Churches of the City of London" London, Guildhall Library Publications, 1996 ISBN 0900422424
Church first recorded.
Record of 5 bells and 2 sanctus bells ("v bells one greater than another and ij smalle sanctus belles").
A "small bell for morninge service" was purchased from Whitechapel and hung in the tower. It weighed 1-2-16.
A bell may have been recast.
The tenor and the sanctus bell were recast. The frame was repaired by Philip Walton, Carpenter.
The tenor was again recast and other work took place in the tower.
The tenor was recorded as being "in danger of falling", so it was taken down.
The tenor was recast by William Eldridge and hung by Mr Turner. The bells were "tewned" by Mr Blackwell.
Church destroyed in the Great Fire.
The bell metal and lead from the church roof was removed and stored.
31 cwt of bell metal was sold and a new bell was purchased from Mr Hudson.
Church rebuilt by Wren, his finest parish church.
Record of 1 bell.
Record of 1 bell.
2 bells cast by Richard Phelps.
Church demolished under the Union of Benefices Act (a protest temporarily saved the tower).
Tower demolished. A memorial to it stood on the site: it is now in St Mary Aldermary. The spire was sold to a gentleman at Sydenham for £50. The top part of it still stands in Sydenham.
The successor church of St Antholin, Nunhead was consecrated. The 2 bells from the city church were transferred here.
Tenor recast at Whitechapel at a cost of £69.9s.7d.
Church gutted by incendiaries.
Bells taken down and rehung on RSJs in the angle between two walls by Mears & Stainbank.
Church reconsecrated and the name was changed to St Anthony.
Parish united with that of St Silas, Peckham Rye (St Silas church was demolished).
A new church (Ss Anthony and Silas, Nunhead) was built on the old St Silas Site. It has a stone clad steel tower wherein the two bells were rehung "dead" for electrical operation. The work was carried out by Hayward Mills Associates.